All contractors must have a City of Hoover business license. Additionally, a contractor / sub-contractor performing any construction work of $50,000 or more must be licensed by the State of Alabama. This page pertains to commercial building permits. For residential building permits, please click here.
New Commercial Buildings or Additions to Commercial Buildings
Prior to constructing new commercial buildings and additions to commercial buildings in Hoover, the following items must be submitted to the Building Inspections Department:
- Completed building permit application
- Completed land disturbing application, if applicable
- Erosion bond in the amount of $3,000 per acre of land disturbed (or portion thereof)
- Landscape bond in the amount of 110% of landscape contract
- Plans and plot plan approved by architectural committee if applicable (Greystone, Meadowbrook, Lake Cyrus, Ross Bridge)
- Plot plan
- Sanitary Sewer / Septic Tank approval
- Landscape plans - additions will not require this unless required parking spaces for the building will be increased by 10% or more
- Three sets of building plans and civil drawings (engineered drawings and stamped by an Alabama architect if the structure is over 2,500 sq. ft.
Interior Tenant Improvements
Prior to performing interior tenant improvement work in Hoover, the following items must be submitted to the Building Inspections Department:
- Completed building permit application
- If the tenant space and/or building is over 2,500 sq. ft., drawings must be stamped by an Alabama architect
- Landlord approval for construction if such construction is to take place within the Riverchase Galleria
- Septic or sewer approvals, if applicable
- Three complete sets of plans
- An erosion bond is required to remain on file up to one year after completion of the project. Also, a landscape bond is required to remain on file one (1) year after the issuance of Certificate of Occupancy (CO) by the Building Inspection Department. Click here to read about development bonds.
- A certified post-foundation survey is required prior to scheduling any rough inspections. Construction should be discontinued until the survey has been reviewed and approved by the Building Inspections Department.
- Additional permits (plumbing, gas, mechanical, etc.) will be required based upon the type of work being done. For a list of permit types, fees, and associated requirements, please click here.
Processing the Building Permit Application
Upon submission of a completed commercial building permit application and all required documentation, your application will go through the site plan review process. After a final site plan review and approval, a building permit may be issued. After a building permit is issued, contractors and/or subcontractors can apply for additional required permits and proceed through the associated inspection process. Once construction is complete and all inspections have been successfully approved, you will be issued a Certificate of Occupancy. This is required to prior to obtaining a City of Hoover business license.
The Commercial Building Permit Fee is fifty dollars ($50.00) for the first $1,000. One thousand one dollars ($1,001.00) and above: Eight dollars and fifty cents ($8.50) per thousand or a fraction thereof. For new buildings only, 25% of the total fee payable is due at the time that the application is submitted for plan review. This amount will be credited towards the total permit fee due when and if the building permit is issued. For a complete list of building permits and their associated fees, please click here.
Beginning October 1, 2016, an additional fee of $1.00 per $1,000 of authorized construction cost is collected, as required by the State of Alabama, to be used to fund the Construction Industry Craft Training (CICT) Program. (View Notice)
If you have specific questions about building permits call our inspections team at 205-444-7586 or email email@example.com. We invite and encourage meetings with our team and the property owner, design team, and development team at the onset of a proposed project. Our team of experts is here to step you through the process. To arrange a meeting, please contact our team at 205-444-7648 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.